smartd troubles: what package supplies?

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Jan 23 22:11:30 UTC 2005

David Hoffman wrote:

>>>rpm -q --whatprovides `which smartd`
>>>kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
>>>

>>ok..so even after reinstalling the necessary package I'm getting this
>>message from the services dialog when starting smartd:
>>
>>smartd dead but subsys locked
>>
>>apart from the obvious whats it telling me?
>>

> Well the obvious thing to look for is to see if there is a file called
> "smartd" in /var/lock/subsys that should have been removed if it shut
> down properly.
>
> If that file is not there and then you try to do "service start
> smartd" (AS ROOT) is that when you are getting your errors?

When I started the service via the GUI services dialog it reported the
service starting ok, but then you'd see a message that the subsys was
locked or something. Some brief googling led me to a post that suggested
taking a look inside the /etc/smartd.conf file. so, thats what I did.

When I looked inside the file it had two drives listed there. There is
only one drive in the machine; there used to be two, but I removed one
for one of my servers that needed more storage.

Once I removed that entry from the smartd.conf file the service started
and now runs normally.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996