How to setup a headless machine

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:58:05 UTC 2005

David L Norris wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:24 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>

>>Out of curiousity, I'd like to know what are the better ways to setup
>>and run a headless (monitor less) machine with FC3.
>>
>>I'm going to setup a third linux box in my room, and thought it would be
>>nice to learn and try out.
>>

>A lot of people seem to equate "headless" with text-only or VNC.  So I
>thought I would also point out that you can run X applications remotely
>by tunneling them over SSH.  It works well over a decent Internet
>connection and for single applications it is faster and more convenient
>than VNC.  You can create desktop launchers if you run applications
>routinely. GNOME will display graphical password/passphrase prompts if
>you do not run ssh from a terminal:
>  ssh -Y user at host  /usr/bin/gedit

This is more like what I was looking for. I tried the command above. but
ssh did not recognize the -Y option.
I tried it without the -Y (in KDE Konsole) : `ssh user at host
/usr/bin/kwrite` and got 'kwrite: cannot connect to X server'.

>Also, if you are on a trusted network you can setup X to allow remote
>logins to your headless machine.  If you're using the default GNOME
>display manager then run gdmsetup on your server and check "enable
>XDMCP" on the XDMCP tab.  Also uncheck "always disallow TCP connections
>to X server" on the Security tab.  Now on your workstations run gdmsetup
>and make sure you have "Allow running XDMCP chooser from the login
>screen" checked.  Once all of that is done you can go to a workstation,
>press F10, select "XDMCP Chooser" and then double click the appropriate
>server.  The GDM theme can have a button to trigger the XDMCP chooser
>but I've not seen any that do so.

I did not completely understand all your instructions. So I googled and
foudn this HOWTO which I'll give a good read (
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ ). But can this be done with KDM
and KDE as that's what I normally use?
And does this require the headless machine to be at runlevel 3?

Peace