Network Printer - Help too please

tonydm inbox at mariosmaintenance.com
Sat Jan 1 01:27:20 UTC 2005

fredex wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 03:49:30PM -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>>>Printer is online!! :)
>>>
>>>But I feel like such an idiot.  I don't recall setting up the printer
>>>with Jetdirect under Mandrake.  I did recall directing it to the ip
>>>address at port 9100.  My problem was I was trying to set it up with
>>>everything EXCEPT Jetdirect under FC3.  I thought "it couldn't be this
>>>because I don't have a Jetdirect server".   Thanks for the education.
>>>
>>>tonydm
>>>

>>It is not the server that is necessarily jetdirect it is the interface
>>on HP printers that are jetdirect.
>>

>Actually,... all the modern laserjets with an ethernet interface emulate
>a Unix lpd print queue, which is much more flexible than the old
>jetdirect "protocol". so, just choose "networked unix lpd", use a
>queuename of "raw", give it the printer's IP address, choose an
>appropriate printer driver, and voila!

I truely welcome all the wonderfull advice.  But somewhere there is the
impression that I have a Laserjet 4000N with Ethernet built in.  I do
not.  I have a plain jane printer which requires a parallel connection
to print.  That's where the Intel NetportExpress 10/100 came in.  It is
the print server, not any part of the printer.