[OT] Fedora-List Trivia - # of Messages in 1 Year

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat Jan 1 01:08:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 04:58, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 30.12.2004 schrieb Jorge Fábregas um 5:32:
>
> > On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:19 am, Timothy Payne wrote:

> > - Since when have you been using Linux? Why Fedora in particular?
> I am using Fedora because after a short time with SuSE in 1998 I
> switched to Red Hat Linux 5.2 (I still have that box) and used Red Hat
> since then. I simply like how Red Hat Linux / Fedora is structured
> internally. For my taste SuSE is too much Yast concentrated which means
> that using Yast you can't edit things manually. Deactivating Yast makes
> it difficult to find all the locations where customisation is needed.
> 1,5 year I had Debian Woody on my desktop system, but the stable Debian
> isn't something you want on a desktop. testing/unstable is like running
> Rawhide - the weekly headaches included - and working with the backports
> didn't make me lucky too. Debian stable is good for old and poor
> hardware, which runs for limited and specific purposes. At university I
> still remotely maintain a Debian system running as a print server and
> internal webserver for accounting data. Gentoo? I gave it a try - from
> stage 1 onwards.

I'm using gentoo as my main distro now. Migrated from FC2 2 months back.

> Well, its a system for those type of people having a
> motor cycle which is 90% of time in the garage where they are
> dismounting things, repairing, tuning, what else doing with it.
I agree that it is a bit of a pain. Having to compile most of everything
yourself and it's not suitable for a system with a slow CPU and low MEM.
(like my P133 w/128MB Ram, which is why it's on FC3)

> And I
> don't run the most powerful hardware to afford the compile times X.org
> or OpenOffice.org or a Gnome for instances needs.
There are binary pre-compiled versions for that in portage though. So it
saves you a few CPU cycles.

I feel comfortable using gentoo because I don't have to worry about the
18 months Legacy Cycle. It's a word I'm learning to hate. I've Dl'ed
Centos and Tao but not had the chance nor the hardware to play with it.
(YET)

> I feel comfortable using Red Hat / Fedora, think to know the system good
> enough, am able to use RPM on command line both as user as well with
> packaging (last not perfectly) and mainly am able to use the system -
> hardware and the Linux system - as the tool which it should be as a
> tool.

I'm a redhat/fc user since RH7 IIRC. It was a hit and miss thingy what
with no hardware when I was in Uni. Only started serious work on Linux
like 1+ year ago when my D600 Laptop came in the door.

> > Again, really, thanks for your time here on the list.
>
> Being glad about your kind words. Sharing experience, knowledge,
> thoughts and even some times frustration is a fair part of the free

I'll drink to that.. Hang on.. it's alreay 2005 here.
Greets from Asia.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz