AMD64 Firefox Java Runtime and Plugin

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 08:57:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:08:52 -0500, Gene Smith <gds at chartertn.net> wrote:
> I installed the blackdown 64 bit j2re package as described here:
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=138909#post138909
>
> The AMD64 Sun versions do not seem to have plugins yet.
>
> However, when I go to the the menus along the top of this site
> http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/
> e.g. "JAVA Applets" Firefox crashes.
>
> I have the depreciated xorg libs installed as mentioned in the 1st link
> above.
>
> Can other AMD64 users access this site with a x86_64 type java plugin
> installed without crashing FF?
>
> -gene

Hi Gene,
Yes, I see the same behavior as you.  I just tried installing just the
plugin and Firefox does crash when trying to view that website.   I
created a /usr/lib64/java-plugin/ directory, copied the file there,
and linked from /usr/lib64/firefox-1.0/plugins/  I also tried adding
the directory where I unpacked the files in the path
(~/download/java64/j2re1.4.2/bin), but that did not help.
Here is the output of running firefox and then navigating to the above website:
$ firefox --verbose
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Exec of "java_vm" failed: 2
<
System error?:: No such file or directory

** (Gecko:3990): WARNING **: Serious fd usage error 16

** (Gecko:3990): WARNING **: Serious fd usage error 14
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable

I also have the deprecated libs packages installed.

Running "java_vm" by itself gives an interesting result:
$ java_vm
java_vm process: could not find Java VM symbols

I think I'll go back to 32-bit firefox for now.

Jonathan