Network Printer - Help too please

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Sat Jan 1 16:23:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 17:27 -0800, tonydm wrote:
> I truely welcome all the wonderfull advice.  But somewhere there is the
> impression that I have a Laserjet 4000N with Ethernet built in.  I do
> not.  I have a plain jane printer which requires a parallel connection
> to print.  That's where the Intel NetportExpress 10/100 came in.  It is
> the print server, not any part of the printer.

Tony,
The confusion stems from the fact that the 4000N comes from the factory
with a Jet direct card installed ... that's what the N means in the
name.   Apparently somebody took it out somewhere along the line before
you got the printer.

Anyways I have about a half dozen NetportExpress boxes attached to
various printers at work (mostly the old PRO 100 variety).

In cups you need to setup the the printer as being LPD with the
destination queue on the remote box being either LPT1_PASSTHRU or
LPT2_PASSTHRU depending on what port the printer is hooked up to.

Regards,
Paul