can't activate wireless

Dale rhl+dale at riyescott.com
Sat Jan 1 19:07:05 UTC 2005

> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:47:51 -0500
> From: Jim <lawrence.jim at gmail.com>
>
> when i try to activate my wireless card i get this
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
>
> Determining IP information for eth1...
>
> Specs
> intel 2200bg wireless

Does your interface work OK otherwise?  In my experience, it doesn't
really matter if the "Set Bit Rate" is done.

The discussion below will refer to the interface as eth1, as that's
the interface with which you're working...

This is an error from a command issued by script
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/if-wireless:
    iwconfig eth1 rate $RATE

You could avoid the error by changing file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 so that its line defining
RATE defines RATE as blank:

    RATE=

You could probably also do this by setting the rate via the GUI
program system-config-network.

The bit rate argument is a bit rate in bits per second (suffixes K,
M, and G are allowed).  If less than 1000 it's usually a table
index in the driver.  It can also be "auto" or have "auto"
appended to mean to use the specified rate _or slower_ if need be.
The message may be avoided by changing ifcfg-eth1's assignment to "RATE="
(which bypasses assignment) or to a legal value, such as:
"Auto", "54M", "54M auto", etc.
See man page iwconfig.