can't activate wireless

Jim lawrence.jim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:29:50 UTC 2005

 0 = RF kill not enabled (radio on)
1 = SW based RF kill active (radio off)
2 = HW based RF kill active (radio off)
3 = Both HW and SW RF kill active (radio off)

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 14:18:29 -0500, Jim <lawrence.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:01:05 -0500, Chris Ruprecht <chrisr at ruprecht.org> wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > you can ignore that error.
> >
> > if it can not determine the correct IP address (DHCP) then you could
> > have one of these issues:
> >
> > 1. The AP (Access Point) you are connecting to has MAC address filtering
> > switched on and your card's MAC address is not listed in the AP's table.
> > 2. The Wireless Network is using encryption and your machine isn't set
> > up with the same password.
> > 3. The Wireless Network is not using encryption but you have it set up
> > on your machine.
> > 4. The Wireless Network is using another type of authentication method
> > that you don't have.
> > 5. There is no DHCP server defined to be used on your network.
> > 6. If this is not your own Wireless Network, talk to the administrator
> > of that network.
> >
> > If this is your home network, please set up the AP properly and then set
> > up the client machine (your laptop, I presume) accordingly.
> > Also make sure that you are actually talking to the AP you want to talk
> > to and not to some neighbor's AP - who has his own encryption and MAC
> > filtering set up (hopefully).
> >
> > And when you have everything working, set up the AP to be a closed
> > network, so you don't broadcast "Hello, here I am, please come and try
> > to hack into me" all over the place.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Chris
> >

> > On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 13:47 -0500, Jim wrote:
> > > when i try to activate my wireless card i get this
> > > Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
> > >     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
> > >
> > > Determining IP information for eth1...
> > >
> > > Specs
> > > intel 2200bg wireless
> > >
> > > --
> > > James Lawrence
> > > Rochester NY
> >
> > --
> > Don't ask me nothin' about nothin' - I might just tell you the
> > truth ...
> >                                          Bob Dylan
> >

> chris,
> ok i have my home network set up to be closed, thought i had my cnfg
> file correct for my wirerless card   maybe not
> here is another error
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
>
> Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check
> cable?  <--weird
>
> why is it looking for a cable?
>
> --
> James Lawrence
> Rochester NY

one more thing   when i run THE CMD
cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw2200/*/rf_kill
it replies that the RF  is ON which means the wireless won't work
so what do i change it to
the options
0 = RF kill not enabled (radio on)
1 = SW based RF kill active (radio off)
2 = HW based RF kill active (radio off)
3 = Both HW and SW RF kill active (radio off)
SW --->software
HW ---> Hardware
also what  are the efects of makeing such  a change to the OS as well
as How to make such changes.
please Advise...

--
James Lawrence