RPMs and custom kernels (Newbie)

Nicholas Comino celloworld at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 22:01:37 UTC 2005

Hi all,

This is a real newbie question about FC3.

I spent the last few days learning (mostly by trial and error) how to recompile my kernel (Fedora 3 to kernel 2.6.10) and finally installed the drivers (Ali 1689 chipset) needed to get the ethernet connection working - so I finally have internet. (It was a very happy moment!). But this morning, Red Hat Network Alert... is telling me that I haven'te installed in RPM format and slaps me on the wrist.

"You are running kernel-2.6.10 but it is not installed in RPM format. It is highly recommended... By running a custom kernel, you will miss out on any security fixes and functionality enhancements provided by Red Hat Linux, and your config is unsupported".

The question I have is what to do now? The original kernel did not support either of two possible networking options. I doubt they will be supported officially. Can I get the "security fixes and functionality enhancements" while keeping my existing drivers?

Thanks,

~Nick.