USB jump drive

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 2 05:42:08 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:53:28PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
> > I'd like to get a 20 Gb flash drive for no more than USD $20.00 which works
> > out to 0.000976562 cents per megabyte. Now on 20 Gb, I can do some serious
> > stuff.
>
>I think it's safe to say that you'll be waiting quite a while
>for prices to reach *that* low.  20GB of regular memory is going
>to be silly prices for some time to come unless some technological
>breakthrough occurs, flash memory moreso.
>
>Even 1GB DIMMs are only just starting to get affordable.
>The most affordable 'large' USB key I've seen so far
>was 1GB for ~$59.
>
>		Dave

Well, 20 gb of flash memory is just a few components on a quite small
PCB. The components shouldn't be expensive to mass produce, assemble,
package and then ship -- especially compared to a 20 Gb, 3.5" hard drive.

You are still right, I'll have to wait till I see gray hair coming out
of my chest before flash prices become reasonable. Hard drive prices
have been high for years and I think there is at least some type of
price fixing going on to keep those prices high.

Bob