trouble shooting Fedora Core 3 installation

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sun Jan 2 06:17:53 UTC 2005

On Saturday 01 January 2005 20:45, Stephen King wrote:
> Thanks Kam
> I'm new at this and not sure where to start.
> I am running a Dell PIII 1.1 GHz with 512 MbRam 2 hard drives and
> integrated audio/video.  The video chip is Intel 810
> I think the problem is with my video resolution.  I inadvertently
> set it too high for my card.  I think the maximum resolution is
> 1248x1024 I dont know enough about this to change the resolution
> via a terminal and when I try to bring up system settings, the
> monitor goes wacky.  I suppose I could just reinstall Fedora and
> hope I can change the resolution in the process??

Stephen,

The i810 video driver is broken with the original FC3 distribution
but the latest xorg packages have gone some distance to fixing the
problems.  Boot up in run level 3 and update your system with
the latest xorg packages and it may fix your problems.  One
work-around for many of us with the original FC3 driver is to add
to the driver section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf the following line:

  Option "noaccel"

This, and other options, are described in the document displayed
when you issue "man i810" at the command prompt.

Regards, Mike Klinke