my proxy is slow

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 2 06:18:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:21:27PM +0200, Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 12:37, M E Fieu wrote:
> > Hi.. i configure my squid proxy and everything seems fine but my I found
> > that it is slow.  For example when I click COMPOSE icon in my yahoo mail,
> > it takes long time.  Why?  Is there any way to tune it faster?
>

> In my experience the DNS is the one that normaly slows down the
> internet surfing. Either taking too long to reslove or timing
> out. Check that you are getting a faster response from the DNS. Use
> dig or nslookup

One trick when lookups are slow and out of your control is to cache
DNS results with: /usr/sbin/nscd - name service cache daemon
It is easy to try and test:

    chkconfig nscd on
    service nscd start

If you are trying to debug a name server or set of name servers
turning it off helps:

    service nscd stop

or to just turn it off permanent.

    chkconfig nscd off