fc3-64 for a newby?

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sun Jan 2 20:04:01 UTC 2005

Jason Hiller wrote, On 01/02/2005 02:48 PM:
> I want to get some opinions on whether Fedora Core-64
> is a good choice for a Linux newby.  I have some
> experience w/ Linux but not a great deal.  I am going
> to buy a new computer and was considering getting a
> AMD-64 chip.  I am going to run Fedora Core
> exclusively on the new machine.  Is installing and
> running FC-64 within the grasp of a Linux beginner or
> should I stick with i386?  Are there any other
> drawbacks to going with FC-64 vs. FC-i386?  Any
> opinions are appreciated.  Also, if this is the wrong
> place to ask this type of question please redirect me.
>  Thanks in advance.

I just put together a AMD64 system using the Asus A8V board with SATA
drive and loaded fc3 x86_64 version and it is working great. The only
issues I have had are that some "non-free" packages such as the latest
java plugins for mozilla/firefox and xmms-mp3 are not yet available on
64bit fc3. But I have found workarounds as documented in my previous
posts on this list. Otherwise installing and setting it up has been just
like using 32 bit versions.