Problem starting iptables on FC3

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Jan 3 04:35:31 UTC 2005

fedora-list at jamesplace.net wrote:

>When I try to start iptables it simply fails with no errors and nothing
>in /var/log/messages. If I try to load it after running the (fwbuilder
>generated) script it starts and the stops immediately.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables script assumes that your firewall setup is
in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.  If you are using Firewall Builder (I do and
highly recommend it for all but the simplest setups), its script is self
contained:  it first resets iptables and then installs the settings you
specified in fwbuilder.  If you type  "/sbin/service iptables start"
after running your fwbuilder script, it will (probably) screw things up
as it will try to add the setup in /etc/sysconfig on top of the
fwbuilder settings.  "/sbin/service iptables stop" is still useful even
if you're using fwbuilder, as it will in effect turn off the firewall by
resetting everything to its defaults.