Managing remote Solaris 9 from FC3

Martin martin at faltesek.net
Mon Jan 3 15:45:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:35 -0600, Chris Garringer wrote:
> I run FC3 on a Toshiba laptop, and just loaded a new laptop with FC3.
> On both (both Toshiba), I can run X applications from Solaris 7 boxes
> with no problem.    When I try to run X applications from Solaris 9
> boxes, it fails.   The Solaris 9 apps I am attempting to run are Java
> apps, Suns printmgr and the Solaris Management Console, smc.   Printmgr
> opens 2 windows on the laptop (the number of windows and the shape are
> correct)   Both windows show the window title, but the rest of the
> windows is gray.   No text, just a gray window.   The laptop itself
> slows to a crawl, in any window it takes 3-5 seconds for typed
> characters to appear.   The only way to clear the problem is reboot.
>
> With the smc application laptop speed is not affected.   SMC opens a
> window with only the title bar showing.   The window can be resized, but
> again is a featureless gray.   It can be closed, where the printmgr
> windows cannot.   Has anyone else seen this problem?  It did not occur
> under FC2.

I am seeing something similar that might be related.  I want to xhost
applications from Solaris 10 systems to my home FC3 system.  Most the
apps I use no longer xhost, though they worked fine in FC2.

While trying to open filemerge, it opens a window but all of the
characters have been replaced by rectangles or crosses, and this
warning:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-
sans-20-0-100-100-p-0-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

While trying to open an openwindows application, it simply does not
even open:

XView warning: Cannot load font set '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-
*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Unable to open default font set
XView error: Cannot open connection to window server: localhost:11.0
(Server package)

I can get some apps to xhost like gnome-terminal.  I tried both ssy -X
and -Y.  Is there some package missing?

TIA

Marty