wep key??

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Jan 3 19:25:03 UTC 2005

Jim wrote:
> -- if you could, please post later when you do get a chance to get
> infront of your notebook
>
> in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts   there is a file keys-my network
> device name
> i've looked at this file and it is the wep key i use in my router. in
> the ifcfg-network device i don't see it used  if it is not supposed to
> be there then thanks ok,  then how and where is the keys-my device
> file get called or used so that the connection can be made to the AP?

I'll be setting up home wireless network in forseable future, so this
thread kind of looked interesting to me.

Have you looked ifup-wireless shell script (comments at the beggining)
and manual page for iwconfig (describes formats to specify the key using
key/enc option)?  It looks as if you need to place KEY line into
ifcfg-device file for your wireless card (for example, ifcfg-eth0, if
that's your wireless interface).  ifup-wireless is called from ifup
script if the device is wireless device.  Looking at the ifup and
ifup-wireless scripts, KEY option could only be in
/etc/sysconfig/network or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-device files.

Let me know if this was helpfull and if it worked.