Nis configuration (need help)

AlilouLinux alilou_linux at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 3 19:22:06 UTC 2005

Dear Sir,
I have a small problem with NIS configuration.
when I type this commande "ypcat hosts", I get this answer:
"No such map hosts.byname.Reason: Can not estabilish a link with the server
which serv this domain"
Did you know where is the problem? (must I use "makedbm -c" in spite of
"make -f ../Makefile all" or ...)
Thank you for your answer and Happy new year.......

********************
NB: There is some information about my installation:
domain name: nis.a22.TPnis
ip of the nis server : 10.172.52.39
I have created the file /var/yp/nis.a22.TPnis
I have added to /etc/yp.conf:
    nis.a22.TPnis   server 10.172.52.39
    ypserver   10.172.52.39
I have added to /etc/sysconfig/network:
    NISDOMAIN="nis.a22.TPnis"
created /etc/domainname and added it this line:
    nis.a22.TPnis
typed the following command: "domainname nis.a22.TPnis"
added the following lines to /et/ypserv.conf:
    #host    :domain    :map    :security    :passwdmangle
    10.172.52.    :*    :passwd.byname    :port    :yes
    10.172.52.    :*    :passwd.byuid    :port    :yes
I have donne
    /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m
created the file "/var/yp/securenets" with this content
    255.0.0.0    127.0.0.0
    255.0.0.0    10.172.52.0
created the maps
    cd /var/yp/nis.a22.TPnis/
    make -f ../Makefile all
restart the daemons
    ypserv  restart
    yppasswdd restart
when I type "domainname" I get this answer "nis.a22.TPnis"
And when I type "ypwhch" I get "station_a22" (the name of my station which
is in the same time my nis server)