up2date broke kdm

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Jan 3 21:31:32 UTC 2005

I replaced FC2 with FC3 Friday (clean install, both KDE & Gnome), but
waited until yesterday to do updates. Other than the things it seems
will never get fixed in any RedHat or Fedora disto, I wasn't
disappointed by the initial install.

Yesterday, after running up2date, was different. KDM will no longer
allow root to login, even after double-checking all login manager
settings in KDE Control Center, and I can't figure out how to switch to
GDM. In other distros, changing the content of /etc/sysconfig/desktop
changes the login manager. That doesn't seem to have any impact at all
in FC3.

rpm queries:
gnome-desktop-2.8.0-3
kdebase-3.3.1-4.3.FC3

1-How do I enable root X login via KDM again?
2-How do I switch among login managers?
3-Why is Gnome session missing from the KDM menu?

All help with the above appreciated. :-) Don't bother lecturing about
root X login. It will be ignored completely. When I want to do updates
or system maintenance in X, I logout as normal user, and login as root.
Period. End of story. I can still log in to X with startx, so all not
being able to login as root via the display manager does is make me very
mad. It's my puter.
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/