what is 'cpuspeed' for?

Chris Ruprecht chrisr at ruprecht.org
Tue Jan 4 02:21:37 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have been running fedora for a while, using a 1.6 GHz laptop. When
ever I looked at /pro/cpuinfo, it tells me that I have an "Intel(R)
Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz" but it's running at 598 MHz - slow as
molasses.
I went to looked around a bit to see what is throtteling the CPU and
soon found 'cpuspeed' in /etc/rc.d/init.d that is being called when
entering multi-user run-levels (3 and 5 are the ones I'm concerned
with). I thought this is nonsense and removed the startup files. Now,
the machine is lightning fast, much much faster than before.

Since my laptop spends 99% of it's life on non-battery power (plugged
into the wall/UPS), why do I want to throttle my machine so that it
behaves like my old 1998 machine? What is thing doing, being installed
by default?

Best regards,
Chris
--
chris ruprecht - network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre