what is 'cpuspeed' for?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 4 02:28:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> Since my laptop spends 99% of it's life on non-battery power (plugged
> into the wall/UPS), why do I want to throttle my machine so that it
> behaves like my old 1998 machine? What is thing doing, being installed
> by default?

Your comparision is not correct.

When there is no CPU load (i.e 90% of usage) - the machine will be at
600MHz. The benefit of this is - lower heat dissipation & low fan
noise.

But when you start a CPU intensive job - the machine goes to 1600MHz -
so no performance loss here.. To speed up the transition - you can use
the following in /etc/cpuseed.conf

OPTS="-i 1"

And also check '/usr/sbin/cpuspeed --help'

And to see the transition - insatll gnome-cpufreq-applet pacakge from
'dag' repository.

Satish