USB jump drive

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 4 04:31:07 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 12:42:08AM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
> > Well, 20 gb of flash memory is just a few components on a quite small
> > PCB.
>
>I think you're confused.  20GB of RAM is going to be quite
>a lot more than 'a few components'.
>Here's a 2GB DIMM ...
>http://store1.yimg.com/I/memx_1826_75952942
>(a bargain at $799 ;-)
>
>20GB of RAM would be *lots* of components 8)
>
>		Dave

Gee...the DIMM is made in Germany, Dave. No wonder it costs so much! For
about $275 total, I bought 4 X 512M sticks of A-Data (rated as DDR400)
from newegg.com. The system wouldn't boot in dual-channel mode at that
speed but did boot and run great when clocked down to the DDR 333 ("2T")
timings. So now I have 2 gigs, didn't pay $798, and still have very nice
performance indeed.

I probably am confused, but I still firmly think we are getting price
cheated and price fixed for tiny amounts of flash. Some memory makers
appeal to various governments to set high tarrifs on memory imports in
order to slow down their competition. I'd rather see the competition
flourish because then prices will drop and other things become possible
and good.

Bob