Trouble getting video cards to work

Lin Tse Hsu evfreek at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 05:03:11 UTC 2005

--- Markku Kolkka <markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi> wrote:

> Are you an antiques collector, or do you have any
> other sensible
> reason for wasting time and money on obsolete
> graphics hardware?

The computer is an old Dell without an AGP slot.  I
had always heard that Linux tends to run better than
Windows on older hardware.  Also, the very new
hardware often has more bugs associated with it.

Note that these cards are all listed on www.tldp.org
as supported, and they all are recognized and
configured.  It is just that some don't work, and
others are unstable to varying degrees.

> Yes, get a video card that's currently manufactured.
> The X
> developers aren't likely to spend much effort on
> developing
> drivers for ancient cards.
>
> --

There also seem to be a lot of bug reports for newer
cards, especially ATI or Nvidia (like the ATI Rage 128
problem).  Does this mean that if I try one of the
listed cards that are currently manufactured, as long
as I steer clear of the ones in the FAQ.

And, I think that you meant "maintaining" rather than
"developing" drivers, since all the drivers for the
cards I have tried have already been developed.  They
appear in the hardware compatibility lists, and they
appear in the README's for xorg, but, they may be
"less" supported due to age.  This makes sense, but
buying 5 different modern cards and having them all
fail is an expensive proposition.  Perhaps I will try
just one.

Are there any suggestions for a PCI video card which
is "more" rather than "less" supported?  All the ones
at the store seem to be AGP cards.