USB2 trouble: EHCI HCD died

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 15:33:54 UTC 2005

Michael J Gruber said about USB 2 Trouble: EHCI HCD died:

>I have an external USB2 hard disk and a PCMCIA USB2 controller. With
>kernel 2.6.5 (Knoppix) both are recognized, EHCI picks up the device and
>runs it at "high speed" (USB2 speed); on two different laptops (Dell and
>Toshiba, both Intel 32 architecture).

What type of PC Card USB 2 controller are you using?  I have an Adaptec DUO-Connect that works with the OHCI-1394 and EHCI device driver.  Also, what type of USB 2.0 hard drive are you attempting to connect to the controller.  Lastly, do you have any other USB 2.0 devices to connect to the controller to test if they work, such as a USB 'Thumb' drive?

>I hoped 2.6.10 would cure this, but the same happens when I run FC3 with
>the FC4 kernel 2.6.10-1.1063_FC4; that's why I am cross-posting to the
>test-list. (The FC4 kernel works nicely on FC3 otherwise.)
How did you install the FC4 kernel only on FC3?  (Please reply off-list to this question.)

>Has anyone experienced symptoms like these? Is anyone driving USB2
>devices at high speed successfuly with FC3/4?

I will reconnect the USB 2.0 drive this evening that I have and see if it works or not.  It did the last time I connected it up, but that was a while ago.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!