firefox and java

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 4 15:52:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:37:06PM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:43 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>
> > I seem to have "firefox-1.0" and "firefox-0.10.1" directories
> > under /usr/lib although the Firefox version that's executing is 1.0.  Do
> > I need to uninstall anything in order to get this to work.
>
> "Make a symbolic link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in your Mozilla Plugins
> directory.

In some very old messages I seem to recall that
a copy of the file was needed not a symbolic link.

There was no explanation but I suspect that the security
model of Java can make following links more 'interesting'
than normal.  This link .vs. copy issue can also be important
for chroot'ed environments.  Since I do not know how Java
manages it's sandbox/ security model there are a number
of things to pay attention to.

An advanatage of links is that only one file needs to be updated.
Chroot'ed areas need to be inspected for outdated binary objects
that you will have noted in your system notebook.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.