networkmanager

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 4 16:21:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, jim lawrence wrote:

> > > i tried to start the process (daemon) and it booted me off my wireless
> > > connection
> >
> > 1. If the wire is connected - then NetworkManager will prefer 'wired'
> > connection over wireless
> >
> > 2. The settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (that you might have
> > configured with system-config-network) are not used by networkmanager.
> >
> > The whole point of NetworkManager is - most of these settings are
> > detected automatically - and things that can't be detected (for eg:
> > WEP key) are specified by the user. (via NetworkManagerInfo)

> ***********
> yes but the cable wasn't even plugged in!!!
> no where it asked for a WEP key or any other window poped up eetc.
> both rpms are installed
> should I turn off my wireless, plug a cable in start networkmanager
> i would like to see something on my screen from the app.
>  I would like to get nemworkmanager configured but if the application
> is going to be a pain in the  ass  i won't bother with it.

Well - I've mentioned how its supporsed to work.

I've also mentioned that it might not work (and if so bugzilla is the
place to look for more info)

One thing you should notice (after you start up NetworkManagerInfo) is
an applet - which shows different icons for different things
NetworkManager is trying out..

Satish