samba

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:15:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:41:36 -0800, Charles Heselton
<charles.heselton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:37:58 -0800, Charles Heselton
> <charles.heselton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:27:39 -0500, jim lawrence <fedorajim at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > -- access a windows share first
> > > then want to be able to access a Samba share(home directory) on my
> > > linux notebook
> > >
> > > Still Learning Linux
> > > Still HaTE Microsoft
> > >
> > > jim lawrence
> > >

> > I've seen this problem before, but usually it was because the box was
> > down, or the user didn't have the appropriate permissions.
> >
> > I guess I'm a little confused by what you said you accessed to create
> > the share.  Which version are you using?  FC3?  I don't think I have
> > the same menu items.
> >
> > Anyway, check the user permissions on the share and then try running
> > the command like this:
> >
> > smbmount //192.168.1.XX/datashare/mnt/winxppc /mylocal/mountpoint -o
> > username=authorized_user,password=mypassword,fmask=0777,dmask=0777
> >

> > --
> > Charlie Heselton
> > Network Security Engineer
> >

> I guess it should actually be like this.....
>
> smbmount //192.168.1.XX/datashare /mnt/winxppc -o
> username=authorized_user,password=mypassword,fmask=0777,dmask=0777
>
> I go thrown off on the spacing....
> --
> Charlie Heselton
> Network Security Engineer

that works   do i have to use /mnt ?  could i use my home directory
instead?  that particular drive is fat32 and i would like to write to
it  but i can't change the owner or the permissions on  /mnt/winxppc

--
Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft

jim lawrence