host name in fc

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 5 03:48:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:40:25AM +0100, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Peter Arremann wrote:
> >On Saturday 01 January 2005 16:22, Danesh Daroui wrote:
> >

> >>I did change host name in system-config-network, but it is not still in
> >>routers clients list and host name for my fedora machine is still blank,
> >>is it important at all ?
> >>Yeah, samba is installed in my LAN.

> >Windows automatically updates a dns server if set through dhcp with the
> >name (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q228803/) in such a configuration.
> >Look at the manpage of dhclient.conf - especially the DYNAMIC DNS
> >section... that setups the same in Linux.

Can you tell us what network your windows machines are configuring
themselves on.  You may be seeing interactions with "APIPA" (Automatic
Private IP Address).  A hint is that  169.254.x.x addresses are
being used.

The good news is that the service that Windows leverages is available
to you.....

Did you tell us what router/DHCP server is involved.
Do not confuse WINS names with Dynamic/DNS names.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.