crond

Giuseppe Greco giuseppe.greco at agamura.com
Wed Jan 5 07:49:55 UTC 2005

Hi Gene,

> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 01:18, Giuseppe Greco wrote:
>>> >

> First off, one post is sufficient, I ahve 4 identicals showing in the
> inqueue right now.

I'm sorry... but I answered 2 different messages. Furthermore, I usually
list and a message addressed to you...

> Thats because your script doesn't tell cron howto execute it.
> When you exec it from the cli, the shell (probably bash) interprets it
> and everything is fine.  But when cron looks at it, it hasn't the
> foggiest who to hand it to since bash or /bin/sh if you will, is no
> more preferable than perl, python, ruby, regina or tcl/tk.
>
> To do this, the first line of your script needs to be
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> and then append the rest of your stuff in subsequent lines.

Yes, this line was already there... Now I've replaced the
calls to "adsl-stop" and "adsl-start" with "ifdown ppp0" and
"ifup ppp0", respectively. That does work!

Of cource, this is just a quick-and-durty, temporary solution
to let my gateway provide Internet access to other clients...

The next step would be to discover why pppoe suddently stops
working... Could the dynamic change of the IP address play a
role in this story? I've noted that after the script above
restarts the ppp0 interface, ddclient notifies an IP address
change...

j3d.

>>> 1.  For Erik:
>>>     His command uses the full path.  Thus the path comment above
>>> is superfluous.
>>>
>>> 2.  for j3d.
>>>     The script being called by cron should contain a shebang line
>>> as the first line.  Does it?
>>> it should look like "#! /bin/sh".  You can look at any of the
>>> scripts in /etc/init.d to see what should be there.
>>>
>>> 3.  For j3d:
>>>     What is the purpose of stop/start the adsl connection every 5
>>> minutes?  As I understand it you are simply verifying the
>>> connection is intact.  It would make more sense to do a simple
>>> ping to some host on the internet, and if that fails then do the
>>> stop/start.  Otherwise the connection is good and you quit.
>>>     A drawback to your approach is that the IP address may (and
>>> often does) change when the adsl connection is re-established.  If
>>> you are using it the IP change may kick you off, and with a long
>>> download that can be a problem.
>>
>>Often the pppoe connection stops working even if pppd is still
>> running, and then I'm not able to access the Internet anymore. When
>> that happens, the only thing I can do is to restart the ppp0
>> interface...
>>
>>I'm trying to figure out the source of the problem, but till now no
>>way...
>>
>>j3d.
>>

>>--
>>----------------------------------------
>>Giuseppe Greco
>>
>>::agamura::
>>
>>phone:  +41 (0)91 604 67 65
>>mobile: +41 (0)79 602 99 27
>>email:  giuseppe.greco at agamura.com
>>web:    www.agamura.com
>>----------------------------------------
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> 99.31% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com attorneys please note, additions to this message
> by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2004 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

Giuseppe Greco

::agamura::

phone:  +41 (0)91 604 67 65
mobile: +41 (0)79 602 99 27