Glib repair

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 5 12:16:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 01:24:48AM -0500, sharaya at bellsouth.net wrote:

> So, I apparently did a bad thing and I'm trying to see how to fix
> it.  I was trying to install Gimp-2.2.1 from source, and in the
> process, I broke something in my glib 1.2 installation,....
> (gimp-2.0:5761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_type_add_private()
> called multiple times for the same type
> Segmentation fault
> I attempted to reinstall Firefox, but even the installer won't run
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this error?

When a key library has been clobbered you need to
boot the install disk (or rescue CDROM) and use
known good tools from that disk.

You said "...reinstall Firefox...installer won't run..."
Which installer?  What flags? What mode?  There may be a
tool set that works without the rescue trick.

Since, GLib is the low-level core library that forms the basis of GTK+
and GNOME it is possible that text mode only tools will still run.
i.e. up2date might fail when up2date-nox might be OK.   If rpm
goes south you need the rescue disk or a second  system to copy good
bits from. .... which installer....

When tinkering with libraries place them in a safe place and use
one of LD*PATH environment variables to add the safe place to the search path
(see man ld) to test the new versions.

If I have identified the package correct this might help

    $ rpm -q --list glib
    /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0
    /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0.0.10
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0