Postfix/Dovecot/Procmail/Maildir

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 5 14:07:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 02:16, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > > I'd probably do that on a new setup with no existing users, but there
> > > is no real advantage to maildir except for imap users and it will break
> > > any existing programs that expect to manipulate traditional mbox format
> > > directly.

> It also means that incremental backups of the mail spool only backup the
> new mail items rather than the whole mail spool. Handy for people that
> have large mailboxes and like to back them up.

That's true, but people using pop typically download the whole
thing and delete it from the mail server every few minutes, so
the storage/backup issue moves to their desktop or file server
and to the local format used by the mail client.

I agree that Maildir or Cyrus format is better for people
using imap where the messages will stay and be manipulated
on the mail server.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com