nvidia and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Neal D. Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 5 11:58:41 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:56:54AM +0100, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
>> Hi Fedora users
>>
>> The subject of nvidia driver was up several times. I've managed to
>> install it correctly according to sugestions given on the list.
>>
>> But, one of the steps was to uninstall xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL rpm.
>
> No, please don't do that. Use the packages at ATrpms.net that don't
> require you to blast holes into your rpm database ;)
>
> http://ATrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/
>
> The packages coexist nicely with Mesa.
>
>> When ever I update my system with yum this package gets
>> installed. So I have to uninstall it manually and install nvidia
>> driver again.
>>
>> How do other nvidia users deal with this ?

I just tried installing nvidia-graphics using the new smart.  I did smart
install nvidia-graphics.  It grabbed all the correct packages.  +5 for
correctly handling my x86_64.  +5 more for picking the right kernel mod.
Everything installed perfectly.  I believe we are on the dawn of a new era.
This could be one of the killer apps.

Just one little question.  What is the recommended procedure to update my
kernel nvidia mod using smart with atrpms?