Type1 fonts for OpenOffice - fc3

P Jones mail4xxxx at imap.cc
Wed Jan 5 22:03:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 19:58 -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I'm trying to get Type1 fonts available in OpenOffice.  They are recongized
> in Gimp, but not OO.  There is no Font button when I run spadmin...  Anyone
> using Type1 fonts with OO and how did you get it to work?  Thanks,  Jim

Hi Jim;

I got Type 1 fonts working in OOo by putting them in my ~/.fonts
directory. The interesting thing is that my collection is all
categorized alphabetically by directory, meaning an A directory for
fonts starting with the letter A, then a B directory, etc., and I was
able to copy the whole directory structure into my ~/.fonts directory,
restart GNOME (they didn't show up until I did that), and there they
were in OOo.

Another question I saw pop up on some list somewhere was how to make
Type 1 fonts available in Scribus. There is a tab in the Options or
Preferences menu item in Scribus, and you can add directories. I did
that, and found that I had to add each sub-directory of ~./fonts in
order for the fonts to be seen.

I have not played with making Type 1 fonts available system wide. You
could also refer to the FC3 README
(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/) which has the recommended
procedure for installing fonts in FC3.

Now, what's with running spadmin? Are you not using the stock Fedora
OOo?

-P