Postfix/Dovecot/Procmail/Maildir

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 5 22:43:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 14:47, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:04:11PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > If you include something that matches the delimiter sequence in the
> > body of a message, anything writing to mbox format must add
> > the > so it isn't interpreted as a delimiter there.  If something
>
> Err, yes. It must mangle the message. This is silly. That's what I'm on
> about. I shouldn't have to encode the message text specially to protect it
> from your broken mailbox format.

I'm not arguing the point that maildir (or Cyrus, or Content-Length:).
I'm pointing out that counting on some email recipient to have installed
a non-standard mechanism is probably not a good thing.  If it
matters you must use a standard mechanism to avoid it.

Then, since this isn't going to solve the problem in a general
sense, is it worth making a change that may break correctly
functioning programs that users may have had running for
a decade or more?

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com