grub gone (again) ...

Max L. Eidswick max at eidswick.com
Wed Jan 5 22:50:40 UTC 2005

Hi, all - I have a funny one this time.  I was testing Norton's GoBack on my
a31p ThinkPad (FC3 and Win XP Pro) under XP Pro and it screwed up my MBR
somehow.  So, I lost my Grub entry (again).

When I boot to the rescue CD, I tried the "grub-install /dev/had" command
which worked the last time, but it returned an error.

My configuration is that Windows is on the first drive (hda) and FC3 is on
the second drive (hdb).

Any ideas?  When I boot from the recovery CD, I can see the grub.conf file
in the /mnt system area, but chroot doesn't work for the grub-install
either.

TIA,

Max