Complaints about using this list...

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 00:44:13 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 Jan 2005 00:25, Kim Lux wrote:
> I've got a couple complaints about using this list.  I'm looking for
> suggestions to improve my experience with it.
>
> a) I can't seem to get searches to find topics that I know are in the
> lists.  I don't have an example off the top of my head, but it would
> save me a ton of time if I could do a good advanced search on these
> archives, something like being able to specify multiple keywords in the
> subject or in the body, that sort of thing.
>
> b) I get the list summary, but it isn't convenient to reply to the posts
> like that.  I can't reply on the list website itself and I don't want to
> get the list posts as individual emails because the volume is too high.
>
> I find reply to posts from the list summary to be slow because you have
> to manually edit the subject and if you don't get it right you've just
> created a new topic.  I think I wish that this list (and others) were a
> regular usenet newsgroup, but I understand that would have some
> drawbacks too.
>
> How is everyone else working with this list ?
>
> I'm beginning to think that I should configure evolution to sort my
> emails into topics and get the whole list as individual posts.  I could
> then search them from within evolution and I could easily reply to
> them.
>
> --
> Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.

Kim

hmmm.  Most people seem to read the list via an email prgram as single emails.

If you do need get it in digest form, you could always use a procmail script
to feed the digest email to another script that would beak the email apart,
and feed it back to your email reader as multiple emails ... not a simple
thing to do, but probably someone here has the knowledge.

As for searching .. once you build up a number of emails in your reader, you
can use the reader's internal search mechanism .. I use KMail for this list,
and it can do pretty good searches.

The on-line archive searching mechanism is always going to be a compromise
between giving people access to old messages and limiting the load on the
server.

I'm sure someone will help here, but I do seem to remember there is either a
program or a method that will crawl the archives and download them as emails
to an email program?  Anyone else remember where I might have seen that?

--
Tony Dietrich