Complaints about using this list

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 01:27:09 UTC 2005

Archive searching is definitely a challenge.  You might try using the following:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

marc.theaimsgroup.com has excellent search capabilities for a wide variety of mailing lists.

I receive the digest as well.  Evolution 2.0.x handles digests reasonably well if you tell the mailing list to send you the digest in mime format.  I'm writing this from the Windows side via a web mail interface, so I may not have everything set accurately.

You do that in http://www.redhat.com/mailman/options/fedora-list after you log in with your email address and password.  Just check the appropriate radio button.

Once you start receiving mail in mime digest format, you'll get a list of topics, followed by each message in its own box.  Above each box there will be an arrow that lets you collapse that particular message as well as another arrow that shows a drop-down menu.  That menu will give you options to reply to the list, reply to all, or reply to the sender.

The option is not perfect.  The default mime display has all message parts displayed, so finding a particular message in a digest is a pain.  I wish that Evolution would collapse all mime parts and just display a title next to a button for each part.  Collapsing sometimes positions the view at the end of the message (at least under KDE).

Thunderbird doesn't handle MIME digests any better.  I've not tried KMail.

Sounds like yet another opportunity to write a) a plugin for Thunderbird or b) some tweaks for Evolution.

HTH

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .