IP Address blocking

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Thu Jan 6 05:33:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 20:53, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have looked through the list archives and read the replies
> other have made about the issue - but nothing seems to fix the
> problem.
>
> Every other morning, I read the system logs from the day before
> and there are a number of break in attempts (usually 59) to root
> and a few to a slew to other accounts.
> I would like to know if there is any program in existence that
> detects these attempts and blocks the IP address from sending
> anything my way ever again.

If you're looking for a way to build a dynamic address blocking list
take a look at "man xinetd.conf" and search for the word "sensor" I
haven't tried this yet but it looks like a nifty tool to have in
your toolkit.

Here's a link that describes this technique:

http://www.web-insights.net/xinetd/xinetd-sensors.html

Regards, Mike Klinke