Problem Compiling Kernel Module

cdlaforc at centurytel.net cdlaforc at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 6 15:07:09 UTC 2005

Hello,
  I am currently reading a book called Beginning Linux Programming and
am trying to compile the a kernel module.  This is the first one I've
had to do so when I had some problems I followed the directions in the
Fedora Core 3 realease notes to install the kernel source and build the
source tree.  This is the gcc command I am trying at this time:

gcc -D__Kernel__ -I/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include -DMODULE -Wall
-O2 -c hello.c -o hello.o

Here is my code for the module I am trying to compile(The first try it
out example in the Device Driver Chapter of my book):

#include <linux/module.h>

#if defined(CONFIG_SMP)
#define __SMP__
#endif

#if defined(CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
#define MODVERSIONS
#include <linux/modversions.h>
#endif

#include <linux/kernel.h>

static __init int init_module(void)
{
   printk(KERN_DEBUG "Hello, kernel!\n");
   return 0;
}

static __exit void cleanup_module(void)
{
   printk(KERN_DEBUG "Good-bye, kernel!\n");

Please let me know if you have any ideas I am getting a ton of errors
when I try to compile.  I can post them if need be.
Thanks,