squid ---file decriptors

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 15:07:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Rudlof Amirjanyan wrote:

> In my squid startup script when I put ulimit -HSn NNN (NNN is any number
> less than 960) it is working well, i.e. in
> /usr/local/squid/var/logs/cache.log I get the following (With NNN file
> descriptors available).
>
> But when I put for example ulimit -HSn 1024 in and restart the squid in the
> cache.log it comes "With 960 file descriptors available"

There are probably 2 issues here. First I believe squid detects the number
of file descriptors available at compile time and compiles that in
as a maximum limit.

Secondly, if ordinary users use the "H" flag when changing limits, they
can't increase the limit above that level again during that session. Run
umlimit -n to see what the setting really is.

	Michael Young