How do you know?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 6 15:52:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 03:12:06PM +0100, Maciej R. wrote:
> I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse' or
> 'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'? If you had a choice
> between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on DVD'
> what would you do?

This is a flamewar sorta question, so I don't feel terribly bad that my
reply gets SuSE people all mad. :)

I choose Fedora because it uses all open source / free software and makes
this a priority. Based on what I've seen from SuSE, freedom is incidental to
their distribution, and they don't mind using non-free components where they
perceive extra value. That's not to say their choice is Wrong -- there's
plenty of people here using Fedora Core + the nvidia binary drivers -- but
it's not where I personally prefer to lend my own efforts.