MySQL on FC3

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Jan 6 17:00:05 UTC 2005

    On FC3:

    # rpm -qa | grep - i mysql
    mysql-3.23.58-13
    mysql-devel-3.23.58-13
    mysql-server-3.23.58-13
    perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-5
    libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-9
    MySQL-python-0.9.2-4
    php-mysql-4.3.9-3
    mod_auth_mysql-20030510-5

    Notice how it has mysql as well as an mysql-server, which are the
client and server rpm's respectively.  However, with the MySQL 4 rpm,
you get:

    MySQL-client-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm
    MySQL-devel-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm
    MySQL-Max-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm
    MySQL-server-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm
    MySQL-shared-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm
    MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.8-0.i386.rpm

    So how is one supposed to upgrade (with -Fvh) to the latest MySQL if
the rpm's don't match?  Removing 3.23.58 from the system to do a fresh
install of 4.0 will cause all kinds of grief because of all the other
dependencies (perl-DBD, lib-dbi, MySQL-python, php-mysql, and
mod_auth-mysql)

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.