How do you know?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:01:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:29:19 -0500, sly <dsyc at go.ro> wrote:
> Maciej R. wrote:
> > Hello out there,
> >
> > I wanted to ask why you are using 'Fedora' and not for example 'Suse' or
> > 'Debian'? What is the reason for choosing 'Fedora'? If you had a choice
> > between 'Suse 9.2 Professional - DVD Edition' and 'Fedora Core 3 on DVD'
> > what would you do?
>
> i chose fedora because i was using redhat before. this is the main
> reason! :)
>
> --
>
> sly
> (561)601-4303
> dsyc at go.ro
> 73 6c 79
>
> --

I chose Fedora because I am a die hard Red Hat advocate from day 1.
I find it to be a real PITA to have one conversation, such as at a
LUG, when people are throwing in a zillion differrent really obscure
distros often basically just to be smug, superior, or weird.  From my
perspective, Red Hat's battle is really uphill as it is, in a world of
bad proprietary software, and too much fragmentation makes no sense to
me.  Also I am studying for the RHCE and I don't want to get
sidetracked into too many differrent directions with other distros and
their subtleties.

Having said that, I do like some distros for some limited purposes.
For hard disk analysis,
forensic etc. I prefer Knoppix since it is cd based.  If I want a
debian based box I just run knoppix-installer.  [ Mental note:  look
into cd based red hat type distros ? ] I guess if I was into cruddy
hardware I would run those 'tiny' distros but I have found that to be
of little use except during the most dire of circumstances.  SuSE has
a nice interface, but I agree, it is kinda weird to get used to.
Basically I am getting what I need out of Fedora, _MOST_ of the time.
Also I run a test type environment here where I am always playing with
and changing stuff, and Fedora is conducive to that. I learn a ton of
things just seeing the issues that others have on these lists, as well
as seeing how the gurus fix them.

Marc