POP3 and sendmail

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jan 6 19:37:32 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 06.01.2005 schrieb Pete um 20:00:

> Has anyone else noticed that pop3 and sendmail are broken in FC2 and
> FC3.  These releases come with cyrus-imap, which is nice, not needing to

Nothing is "broken", just not ready to use configured by installation.
While Cyrus-IMAPd is not the default POP3/IMAP server.

> create real "users" to be able to support mail for clients.  However not
> all is wonderful in Linux land, it appears that as installed,
> cyrus-imapd isn't working.  I can't send mail, or retrieve mail, even
> after creating users in cryadm, which was fraught with minefields all of
> it's own.  Has anyone had any success is setting up cryus to send and
> receive mail?

Yes, Cyrus-IMAPd is very powerful (can run in sealed mode) and needs
some setup steps as well fair knowledge about MTA <--> Cyrus
interaction.

No, Cyrus-IMAPd does not send mail.

Though the howto posted by S.

http://www.bsodmike.com/articles/sendmail&cyrus.php

is good (the color contrast of the design could be better), 2
annotations:

A) No need to "fix" the saslauthd by changing the MECH used to PAM.

B) The settings in the sendmail.mc for the Cyrus-IMAPd are not all at
their right place. Don't place any FEATURE or define calls below any
MAILER setting.

> Pete

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:28:06 up 14 days, 22:12, load average: 0.44, 0.62, 0.47