Video-Streaming-Server

Ferguson, Michael ferguson at BRVMLAW.COM
Thu Jan 6 22:21:40 UTC 2005

Les,
Thanks for the answers. Really helpful. I will pursue it. Thanks again

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 5:15 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: RE: Video-Streaming-Server

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:00, Ferguson, Michael wrote:

> I was not thinking of using tuner cards on the workstations. I was
> thinking of something much simpler. Each workstation would simply get
> the one channel that the server is tuned to at that particular moment.

Yes - for that you just generate a multicast stream and any workstation
on the LAN that runs vlc set to read that multicast address can view it.

> Are you saying that if the workstations all had tuner card on them
> they could tune to any channell?

No, but you could have several machines with tuners feeding different
channels on different multicast addresses. Or one feed can play to only
one address instead of multicasting. Or you could capture shows to files
and replay them on demand.

> All that video flowing on the LAN??? Bandwidth problems?? No?

It adds up quickly.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com