FC3 as a printserver

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 7 02:22:25 UTC 2005

Kevin Fries wrote:

> bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi wrote:
>
> |I am trying to get my FC3-box to print jobs sent from a RH9-box.
> |
> |FC3 printer configuration: Queue name office, queue type
> locally-connected lp0, driver raw; Sharing properties LPD protocol
> enabled, queue is allowed to all hosts.
> |
> |RH9 printer configuration done by editing printcap.local:
> |office:\  |:rm=192.168.2.31:\  (and yes, the IP is OK)
> |:rp=office:\
> |:sh=:\
> |:mx=0:\
> |:mc=0:\
> |:ml=0:\
> |:sd=/var/spool/lpd/office:\
> |:if=/usr/local/bin/printerfilter:
> |There are the necessary lines in /etc/printerfilter.conf: Printer
> office, Charset IBM437, Model oliprinter, Staircase y. There have been
> no alterations with this sending RH9-box.
> |
> |Everything worked fine as long as the receiving FC3 box was still a
> RH9-box, but after installing FC3 (from cratch, firewall on and
> SELinux active) printing stopped. RH9 and FC3 pings each other, the
> boxes are in the same lan and network segment. What to do??
>
> Wow!  Doing things the hard way are we?
>
> I run a FC2 printer server for Fedora Core 2/3 and Winblows 2000/xp
> clients.  Much more complex than your setup, and I would never try
> this without CUPS.  Set up CUPS on the Fedora box (its an rpm), set up
> CUPS on the RH box (again an rpm).  Now, configure the Fedora box for
> the printer (see www.linuxprinting.org if you need help).  The default
> behavior is to share the printer.  The RH box should see the printer
> automagically.
>
> If you want to print from Windows boxes, set up SAMBA on the Fedora
> box.  Then, configure Windows printer shares, and use the CUPS printer
> as the back end source.  You can go into allot more automation with
> dealing with Windows printer drivers.  Linux needs no such BS.
> Everything in Linux goes out postscript.
>
> Done.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,
      Could you help me out as well please,I have similar problems  in CUPS
between two FC3 box's, same LAN 192.168.0.0/24 the 2nd box uses internet and
NTP,print config the same,sharing,all hosts they both see the print file
but the
printer does not print from the 2nd box. I tried different hosts ie: eth
0 eth1,single url,
but nothing works.

        Thanks   david