Migrating from Win2000 to Fedora

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Fri Jan 7 03:43:55 UTC 2005

>>Message: 15
>>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:27:25 -0500
>>From: "Robbie Jolley" <rjolley91 at mchsi.com>
>>Subject: Migrating from Win2000 to Fedora
>>To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>>I am new to Linux and have no idea how to install Fedora over a failing
>>Windows installation.  I have the iso files, but no idea how to kick off the
>>install.

Robbie: You need to burn the ISO files onto CD's, or somehow obtain a
Fedora CD set. So before you blow away Windows, use your CD burner to
make the discs.

You should be able to boot from CD #1 and run anaconda. When you get to
the point of partitioning the hard disk, let the installer use all space
on the disk. That will allow you to wipe everything away and install Fedora.

This will not work for you if you don't have a CD burner, or can't get
your machine to boot from CD, or you don't know how to perform these
tasks. Most reasonably modern machines I have seen let you select the
order of boot devices either through the BIOS setup or through a special
menu that appears briefly at a cold startup of the system.

If you do not have a CD burner, you need to obtain CD's either from a
friend who has them, or perhaps in one of the trade books out which
include CD's. It is possible to install in some other ways, such as over
a network, but these don't sound like they would help you.

I hope this helps; reply with more specifics if this is not enough help.
Erik