how do I upgrade from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 3...

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Fri Jan 7 04:56:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:22 +0100, maeder+rh at mathconsult.ch wrote:
> > I recently upgraded from FC2 to FC3 using Yum, with little or no difficulty,
> > thanks to some sage advise found in the link below.
> >  http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
>
> thanks for this link! Ever since I started to use RedHat around 1996 I always
> wondered why they made you reinstall the OS for every new release instead of
> updating it with rpm, which was always praised as a tool for keeping systems
> up-to-date. How silly to write boot floppies or burn CDs if you a have a fine
> Linux system already up and running. (not to mention the need to maintain all
> these old releases.)

FC1 -> FC3 may be a bit more problematic (from General freshrpms.net
discussion list <freshrpms-list at freshrpms.net>)...

Re: Upgrading from FC1 to FC3
On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 21:35 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > What does that mean for all the additional freshrpms packages which
> > (presumably) anaconda doesn't know about?
>
> It means your deps will be broken.
>
> There's really no good way around it unless you want to update to a
2.6
> kernel and remove the 2.4 kernel then try a yum upgrade from there.
>
> I wouldn't recommend it.
>

> Anaconda upgrade.
> then yum update once anaconda is done
> -sv

and

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > It would be nice if the extra logic that Anaconda does could be extracted
> > or modular so we could use it without having to reboot or in most cases
> > have to be physically available.
>
> it's not extra logic.
>
> the virtue anaconda has is that it runs completely outside of the
> system.
>
> it can do anything it wants w/o concern of the running system collapsing
> underneath it.
>
> that's how anaconda does all that.
>
> -sv

If you have non-Fedora packages or non-rpm-installed components you may
still have serious dependency problems even after an anaconda upgrade,
and if you use LVM it will interfere with a yum upgrade, thus the
frequent advice to do a clean install.  Have seen reports of success
with FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3 yum upgrades.  If you want to try that route see

http://linux.duke.edu/%7Eskvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt
http://linux.duke.edu/%7Eskvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt

Seth is 'da [yum] man! ;-)

Phil