FC3 as a printserver

bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi bengt.lindholm at salnet.fi
Fri Jan 7 08:58:32 UTC 2005

|> |I am trying to get my FC3-box to print jobs sent from a RH9-box.
|>  | |FC3 printer configuration: Queue name office, queue type
|> locally-connected lp0, driver raw; Sharing properties LPD
|> protocol enabled, queue is allowed to all hosts. | |RH9 printer
|> configuration done by editing printcap.local: |office:\
|> |:rm=192.168.2.31:\  (and yes, the IP is OK) |:rp=office:\
|> |:sh=:\ |:mx=0:\ |:mc=0:\ |:ml=0:\ |:sd=/var/spool/lpd/office:\
|> |:if=/usr/local/bin/printerfilter: |There are the necessary lines
|> in /etc/printerfilter.conf: Printer office, Charset IBM437, Model
|> oliprinter, Staircase y. There have been no alterations with this
|> sending RH9-box. | |Everything worked fine as long as the
|> receiving FC3 box was still a RH9-box, but after installing FC3
|> (from cratch, firewall on and SELinux active) printing stopped.
|> RH9 and FC3 pings each other, the boxes are in the same lan and
|> network segment. What to do??
|>
|> Wow!  Doing things the hard way are we?

The problem is, that I can not use cups on the sending RH9-box. CUPS is installed on the FC3-box and runs as a server for the RH9-box. What is the idea with cups if it is able only to communicate with an other cups-box??? Why is it the only printerdaemon FC3 has??? (Well, those questions did not help very much)

So I have to try SAMBA. How do I set up the FC3-server side including cups-editing (all necessary), samba-server and firewall-editing?

Bengt