Migrating from Win2000 to Fedora

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 02:30:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:57:38 -0700, Kevin Fries <kevin at hcico.com> wrote:

> Robbie Jolley wrote:
>
> | I am new to Linux and have no idea how to install Fedora over a
> | failing Windows installation.  I have the iso files, but no idea how
> | to kick off the install.

So what you are saying is that you downloaded the 5 iso images from
the fedora website.
you are also saying that you would like to install fedora linux  on
your computer  and rid yourself of the "Evil Empire" (sorry found it
funny)  well thats cool.

step 1    verify the iso images you downloaded.  the site where you
downloaded the isos has a thing called  md check sum # and its like 40
characters long.   how to verify the iso's is very easy,  go to here
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html   download the
md5sum checker  and follow the directions there. after you verify all
the iso images, your now ready to burn them to a CD.   the easy way is
to use nero  express  once again they have directions on how to do
this at the above site.
step 2  reboot your pc and get into the BIOS  and change to boot
priority to your CD ROM/cd-rw etc.     save the changes in BIOS take
the first FEdora CD (Hoped you marked them 1,2,3,4,Rescue)  and plop
it into your cd rom. and then exit the BIOS.
step 3  you should see graphical screnn that says redhat linus fedora
blah blah blah  asking if you want to install with the cmd line or
wth the graphical  choose the graphical.   the great thing about linux
(fedora) is that you can go through all the steps involved with
installing the OS and not make any changes to your current
configuration. so be patient.  any questions
go here   https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/   you can use the
redhat 9 install guide  about the saME.  anyother questions post again

--

Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft

jim lawrence