ATrpms Real Issues

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 7 11:05:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:40:51PM -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:11:28 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:14:03PM -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:28 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > OK, I just enabled at-stable. And immediately it wants to remove
> > > libpostproc (the video processing library for mplayer) and rpmlibs, in
> > > order to upgrade mplayer (and family) and apt, respectively. What's
> > > going on here?
> >
> > It shouldn't remove, but replace them with ffmpeg and librpm43, right?
> >
> > libpostproc moved from mplayer to ffmpeg (rather at the same time
> > mplayer started hosting ffmpeg's CVS), so effectively ffmpeg swallowed
> > libpostproc, and %{_libdir}/libpostproc* belong to ffmpeg now.
> >
> > Wrt to rpm-libs: ATrpms provides rpm upgrades for older Red Hat/Fedora
> > Core releases since a couple of years. In order to not break
> > dependencies librpmXX packages are created (like to ones Red Hat
> > itself created some time ago). rpm-libs itself is missing the version
> > info in comparison to prior rpm releases, and will also be removed in
> > the near future:
> >
> > https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2004-September/000068.html
> >
> > But these topics are probably more relevant for ATrpms-users, I guess :)
>
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> It took several tries, but now I'm using at-stable, dag, dries, and
> freshrpms. (I abandoned newrpms, as that's a testing repo itself, as
> its keeper freely admits.) The new libraries for mplayer work fine--I
> tested mplayer against a wide variety of videos (after grabbing the bz
> tarball containing the codecs!), and it played them flawlessly.

There is also an rpm for this job, but it isn't depended upon, since
its an opt-in.

> I also have yum configured to use your repo. (When are you going to
> write appropriate lines for up2date? Or do you not want to risk that
> now?)

You mean installation instructions? You can use

#
# atrpms
# Fedora Core 3 - x86_64 - ATrpms
# alternatives to stable: testing and bleeding
#
apt atrpms              http://apt.atrpms.net fedora/3/en/x86_64 at-stable
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net